Hey guys,
Yesterday we were in the library and everybody chose two children's books. I descided not to take a kids novel, I prefered reading some books from the science section. The library was divided into kids sections and teens sections, the others I can't remember because I am not thinking highly of them, but I think there were adults sections, too. American libraries seams to be very similiar to German ones. Especially in the childrens section everything was created very colourfully and they had children friendly desks and chairs. Moreover the shelves are low so that children feel well and reach everything on their own. They had some toys as well to cheer them up if they are tired of reading all the time.
My first book was about pulleys and gears. The book decribed the topics in a very easy understanding way. One practical usage is illustrated on a double page with one picture from reality and directions which is represented in a draft. I can remember one book from my childhood I read, it was about chemical relationsships and the practical use of them. Additionally I can remember that in the end there was also an experiment described. The American books does the same thing. It explains how you can build a small toy windmill. I think to get active and try something on your own is very important for children to remember and understand things. In addition there were also some questions asked in the book and in the end the kids could find the answers that`s very important to check if the kids get the content of the book.
The other book was about the digestive system, a topic which isn`t easy to understand, but in this book kids can approach is difficult issues very well. First a little story is narrated so that the kids can identify with the problem, in this case just eating too much. Afterward the whole process of digestion is stated. The book has many picutres from the human body with arrows and the belonging items so that kids really can learn some important facts. Reading such scientific stuff in an early age can prompt interests and study further. Furthermore the language is very easy to understand so that the kids also don`t get bored or frustrated while reading.
I think that every child in the age of 5 till 10 can identify with these two books whether if they are different relegions or social status. Maybe the technical book is more attractive for boys.
I think that these and the book which were chosen by the other students don`t not distinguish that much from German child books. The issues are quite the same and also the structure.
Dienstag, 18. August 2009
Abonnieren
Kommentare zum Post (Atom)
Hi Anna-Elisa,
AntwortenLöschenYou chose non-fiction books (information books) rather than fiction books (story books)to read. Do you think there is a difference between these two types of books in children's minds? Do you think both kinds of books are important for children to read? When you were a child, did you read these kinds of books?
See you tomorrow,
Jody