Hi guys,
Now my trip abroad seems to be in the end stage. I'm going to enjoy my last weekend in Cincinnati.
On Sunday we will go on to New York, and hopefully earn some more new knowledge.
What I learned during the classes was mainly cultural understanding. At first I get a small cultural shock if I saw all the black people in the neighborhood. In the end I must admit that I really feel comfortable in the dorm and around it. I really like going to the Stop' n' Go, because it was quite different to German night markets, of course primary of the different nationalities of customers. I wouldn't get such an realistic impression only with listening e.g for reports about different cultures. It's important to make your own impressions so that you can decide whether you agree with adjustments or disagree.
Especially in the language I learned some new rules concerning the usage of commas. I also refreshed my knowledge about the right use of which,that and who.
Of course it is more efficient learning with a native speaker than a usual German teacher. You can prove your understanding with different slangs. It was important that we also could spoke to people which aren't prepared to non native speakers, so that they spoke in their usual speed and common speech. Another difference between the summer course and my ordinary lectures are that we have to analyze and evaluate several topics.
What was new for me, was the knowledge about typical behavior of Germans when they meet Americans. It seems that we have a different way of listening. Americans might think that we are uninterested or bored because we don't show any emotions. In fact it is just our way to show our respect and politeness while not interrupting the speaker.
I think I will include the last blog into this one because both themes are quite similar.
I don't expect learning so much about culture on this trip and thats what I enjoyed the most. I wanted to improve my English and besides I learned many new things about religions, food, music and history. A nice side effect :-)
I also expected to have more problems with understanding the inhabitants. I think my writing's gets a little better, but I don't think that my speaking is now more runnier than before. For me the attitude against a new country has changed a lot. I'm now more open minded and more interested in foreign culture.
Freitag, 4. September 2009
Abonnieren
Kommentare zum Post (Atom)
Hi Anna-Elisa,
AntwortenLöschenIt was nice to meet you during these three weeks in Cincinnati. I hope you enjoy your vacation in New York. Good luck with your future studies.